Quick Hits - Sports
I've been horribly neglectful of The Fein Line for the past week. I've been busy with both work and some personal activities. In an effort to catch up on some things, I'll do some Quick Hits posts with short thoughts.
There has been quite a bit of activity in the sports world in the past week. Here are some observations.
- My Yankees fell apart in the postseason. I think they need to clean house and do a restart. But, I don't think that they will. I think that they'll try to hang on to their recent past as much as possible. This will delay the inevitable.
- Meanwhile, the Red Sox are down against the Indians. This is probalby the first real test of the Red Sox season, even more than when the Yankees closed to within one game. This time they are actually behind. It's particularly interesting that Francona is sticking with Wakefield rather than going to Becket on 3 days rest. I think that the strategy is that for the Red Sox to win the World Series, they will need Wakefield to win a game or two. But, the risk of falling behind 3 games to 1 is pretty significant. If I were Francona, I wouldn't take that chance.
- The Patriots look awesome. They beat the Cowboys soundly after falling behind briefly in the third quarter. The most interesting thing to me is that 1) they actually didn't look too sharp in the first half and 2) they were throwing deep right away (although Brady and Moss didn't connect). But, even without the long bombs working, they took an early 14-0 lead. Their defense is good, but not dominant. But, with their offense, their defense has a lot of margin for error. I'm excited to go to the game in Indianapolis vs. the Colts on November 4. There is a decent chance that the Patriots will be 8-0 and the Colts 7-0 for that one. The hype for that game will dwarf what we saw this past week.
- The baseball postseason has come down to 'who's hot' the past few years. Right now, the Rockies are supernova hot, having won 21 of 22. Although they don't seem to be as talented as the Indians or Red Sox, no one has figured out how to beat them over the past month. It's hard to believe that after more than six months of baseball that the Rockies could emerge as the World Series champs because they were white hot for a month. Doesn't seem right, but I have no idea what you could do about it.
- The New Big Three (need some other nickname) -- Garnett, Allen, Pierce -- play their first game at the Garden tomorrow night. It's just preseason, but I expect that there will be some excitement there.
- Boston College football has been good, and BC is 7-0. But, although I am cheering for them, I can't believe that they are really the 3rd best team in the country. Weird football season as the top teams keep losing. College football desperately needs a playoff.